Yesterday I harvested a bunch of basil and made fresh pesto. Twelve hours later, I still reek of garlic. In fact, I’m pretty sure I could be charged with a misdemeanor for disturbing the peace if I showed up in a public place smelling like this.
But, damn, it tasted good!
Here are some more odd things about me, yanked from a meme making the rounds.
1. Do you like blue cheese? Oh, yeah. I wonder if I could put it pesto?
2. Have you ever smoked? Yep, stupidhead that I was. I smoked the first three years of college. (Thank God I could hardly afford cigarettes – the habit was rarely more than a pack a week. I apologize to my lungs, mea maxima culpa.) I quit when my fiance and I made a pact: I would quit smoking if he promised to wear his seatbelt, always and forever. It has extended both of our lives.
3. Do you own a gun? Yes. Looking forward to hunting next year.
4. What flavor Kool Aid was your favorite? The most toxic one.
5. Do you get nervous before doctor appointments? Only if I think they’re going to tell me I’m about to die.
6. What do you think of hot dogs? Hoffman’s hot dogs are sinful and great. I try to not eat them, but I am weak.
7. Favorite Christmas movie? It’s a Wonderful Life. And Elf, if Meredith is here to watch it with me.
8. What do you prefer to drink in the morning? One mug tea, with two mugs of coffee as a chaser.
9. Can you do push ups? Yes!
10. What’s your favorite piece of jewelry? Wedding ring.
11. Favorite hobby? Running.
12. Do you have A.D.D.? Did you see that butterfly?
13. Do you wear glasses/contacts? I can barely see the butterfly without my specs.
14. Middle name? HALSE RHYMES WITH WALTZ!
15. Name 3 thoughts at this exact moment? Need more coffee, what to do about chapter 11, will the historian in Albany ever get back to me?
16. Name 3 drinks you regularly drink? Tea, coffee, water
17. Current worry? Not enough time before deadline.
18. Current hate right now? No hate – lots of anger, aimed mostly at the Bush administration and the media that is not reporting about the lives of working people in America.
19. Favorite place to be? With my family.
20. How did you bring in the new year? Singing so loudly the ice on the lake shatters.
21. Where would you like to go? Iceland, Scotland, Ireland, New Zealand.
22. Name three people who will complete this? I have not yet mastered the ability to see into the future.
23. Do you own slippers? Do you know where I live? I have slippers the size of down sleeping bags.
24. What shirt are you wearing? Long-sleeved running shirt bought in the early 90s.
25. Do you like sleeping on satin sheets? Ack.
26. Can you whistle? I can call my dog and children from a mile away with my whistle.
27. Favorite color? Green.
28. Would you be a pirate? How do you know that I am not a pirate already, cleverly concealed as an author?
29. What songs do you sing in the shower? Anything by the Eagles or Dave Matthews.
30. Favorite Girl’s Name? Meredith, Stephanie, Jessica. (our daughters)
31. Favorite boy’s name? Christian. (our son)
32. What’s in your pocket right now? Sweatpants don’t have pockets.
33. Last thing that made you laugh? Watching the dog jump on the bubble wrap.
34. What vehicle do you drive? Red Honda Fit and a bicycle.
35. Worst injury you’ve ever had? ::knocks self on head for continued luck:: broken fingers and toes, that’s it.
36. Do you love where you live? I adore it. I live on ten acres of serenity, planted with maple trees, sunflowers, and peas.
37. How many TVs do you have in your house? Two. They can’t wait for football season to start.
I tag you with the meme.
I can’t believe this month is almost over. This is the last Sunday edition of WFMAD. Here goes…
Today’s goal: Write 15 minutes.
Today’s mindset: pesto-scented
Today’s prompt: Think about the most irritating thing that has happened to you in the past month and describe it in three or four sentences. Skip a line and write “And then it got worse…”. Create fictional details about the incident, exaggerating and blowing it wildly out of proportion. After each new detail, skip another line and write “And then it got worse…”. See how far you can take your tall tale before you have to end it.