I’d like to propose a modification to the calendar. I need an extra month.
We will call it Serenitember and insert it between November and December. There will be no work days in Serenitember, no school either. But this is a sacred month, devoted to the sole purpose of giving all of us the chance to get caught up on everything that we are hopelessly behind on. The anarchists will ignore the rules, of course, that’s just the way they are. But for those of us who take this type of thing seriously, here’s how it works.
Rules of Serenitember
1. We all get at least eight hours of sleep every night this month, this holy month.
2. We answer all email, all written mail, empty inboxes and balance checkbooks this month, this holy month.
3. We complete all undone job/school work this month, this holy month.
(3a. No new assignments or projects may be started!)
4. We complete all undone home projects this month, this holy month.
5. We clean everything which must be cleaned, this month, this holy month.
6. We eat and drink sensibly and we exercise like wild people, this month, this holy month, in anticipation of the feasting to come,
7. We make the time to read for fun this month, this holy month.
8. We make the time for slow dinners with family and friends, this month, this holy month.
9. We light bonfires in every town and burn away all of our Communal Guilt for the Unfinished Task, this month, this holy month,
10. On the last day of Serenitember, we dance.
What would you finish if we could create this extra month with the sweep of a wand?