Things that are frustrating me right now:
1. My parents’ insurance. I spent all afternoon on the phone trying to sort out one mess after another. I bet healthcare would be more affordable if the employees of insurance companies were better trained. You do not want to know how many calls I had to make to get a simple answer to a simple questions. Grrr…
2. My desk is awash in backed-up mail again.
3. My revision is not yet done.
4. This is a very bad hair day.
5. College basketball hasn’t started yet.
6. I didn’t get to the gym today.
7. October is almost over.
8. I’m hungry and I don’t know what to eat.
9. I hate myself when I am whiny like this.
On a much happier note, yesterday’s visit to Long Island City High School (in Queens) was a blast. It is a massive school – nearly 4,500 students! – but it felt like a warm and nurturing place.
Thanks to everyone who made me feel so welcome.
The traffic in New York City yesterday was insane. Brain-splittingly insane. To amuse myself, I looked for things to take pictures of. And I found this:
This is a group of traffic cops in training. We were lost in Queens at this point, so we asked them for directions. They did not know how to get us where we were going. I guess it was the first day. What is the collective noun for such a gathering? A signal of traffic cops? A misdirection of traffic cops? A gridlock of traffic cops?
I forget to mention that I visited the new location of my favorite NYC bookstore, Books of Wonder yesterday. It is now teamed with the Cupcake Cafe. You should visit there right now and buy books and eat cupcakes.