OK, I hate the Internet connection at this hotel. I’ve tried to post this entry three times and it keeps failing and I lost all the work. Lucky for the front desk I’m too tired to whine and stomp my feet.
Pics du jour:
I’m staying in Jack London Square, where author Jack London used to hang out. (Yes, an author appropriate hotel. Not seedy, but you double-check the locks.) Here are the pics from this morning’s walk.
Cabin with a sod roof in the middle of a large city.
This is a tree, a mulberry tree, I’m told. They get trimmed back like this every year. There is a whole block of them near my hotel. They look like a forest of dinosaur bones.
First stop of the day was Rakestraw Books in Danville, where students from three different schools SQUEEZED into the store and we made much merriment. (Hi Wendy – of course I remember you!)
Next was M is for Mystery/Third Avenue Bookshop for Children in San Mateo. These wonderful girls are from San Mateo High School. There are 90 kids missing from this photo (from a different school) because budget cuts last week forced the school district to eliminate all busing for field trips. *sad face* From there I signed stock at another store, and then went home to talk to kids and Beloved Husband on the phone.
Interesting things about Oakland, CA –
1. The newspaper has a daily map of regional earthquake activity. It’s on the weather page, just below the UV index.
2. When you order a bagel and lox, you get a raisin bagel.
3. I should move here because fog makes my hair look great.
4. Houses are expensive. If I moved here, I could only afford to rent a small cardboard box.
5. A really icky thing happened in front of my hotel today that I will probably put in my next book. Maybe if I lived here (in a cardboard box) I could write faster.
Early morning flight to San Diego
1:00 – 3:00 PM Rancho Santa Fe middle school (not open to public)
Sponsoring Store: Yellow Book Road
4:00 – 4:30 PM Stock signing, Warwick’s, 7812 Girard Avenue, La Jolla CA
7:00 – 9:00 PM Barnes & Noble, 1040 N. El Camino Real Drive, Encinitas, CA
Friday I’ll be in Santa Monica & Pasadena.
See ‘ya, bye.